Delicious Cheese soup in Canadian style ! Nice started during lunch or evening. Add to your liking herbs to make it fit any finetaster !
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup green pepper finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ cup ham finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ qt chicken broth
- ½ qt milk
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ lb process sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, Onion, green pepper, mushrooms and Ham. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add some of the chicken stock to the flour and cornstarch. Stir to blend.
- Add broth to the pot and stir in the flour mixture. Stir until thickened.
- Add the cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in milk, add cheese and do not let boil once the cheese and milk are in the pot or it will curdle.
- Check seasonings and adjust to taste. Serve.