- 1 pound beef
- 2 red jalapeños — stems removed
- 4 stalks lemongrass — sliced thin
- 6 lime leaves or the peel of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon galangal
- ⅛ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups water
- Cut beef into thin slices and thread onto skewers.
- Mash or blend the jalapeño, lemon grass, lime leaves, garlic and galangal together.
- Combine the mixture with the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Place in a saucepan, and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Taste for sweetness; it should be present but not dominant.
- Marinate the beef in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Grill the skewers over hot coals, keeping the beef at least four inches from the heat lest the sugar burn, until desired doneness.
- Serving suggestion: before cooking, stick a chunk of fresh pineapple on the end of each skewer.
- Serve with green mango salad and steamed rice.