Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A generous Cambodian restaurateur shared this recipe with me. Lobster is a luxury ideal for special occasions.
- 1 large cooked lobster
- 2 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage (wong nga bak)
- 2 seedless cucumbers, finely sliced
- 60 g / 2 oz bean thread vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon dried wood fungus, soaked for 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 125 g / 4 oz minced pork
- 1 tablespoon minced dried shrimp (optional)
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons crushed, roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded mint leaves
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented
- mint sprigs for garnish
- 3 whole heads pickled garlic, thinly sliced
- Divide lobster where head and body join. Reserve head and claws, whole, for garnishing salad.
- Remove meat from the body and shred with fingers. Reserve shell.
- Combine shredded lobster meat, cabbage and cucumber.
- Boil noodles for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain, then cut into short lengths.
- Trim any gritty parts off wood fungus and divide into small pieces. Add to the lobster, cabbage and noodles.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the garlic, stirring over low heat without browning, then raise heat, add the minced Pork and minced dried Shrimp and stir-fry until well cooked and brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of the fish sauce and sugar, stir and cook until liquid evaporates, remove from wok and cool.
- Combine remaining fish sauce and sugar with lime juice, stirring to dissolve Sugar.
- Pour over the lobster mixture and toss well.
- Toast the coconut in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until evenly golden brown.
- Turn out on to a plate at once to cool.
- Make a bed of crisp salad greens on an oval platter, pile the lobster mixture in the centre and place orange segments around.
- Sprinkle with the pork and shrimp mixture, toasted coconut, crushed peanuts and shredded mint.
- Place head and tail of lobster at opposite ends of the pile of lobster meat.
- Garnish with sprigs of mint and slices of pickled garlic.