Portuguese-style shrimp. This is a delicious and quick Shrimp saute using typical Portuguese ingredients like red wine and plenty of garlic and parsley. The saffron makes it a little different, and a touch of crushed red peppers at the end of cooking make it wonderful!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onions, minced
- ½ cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or ginger
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads, soaked in 1 tbsp warm water for 15 minutes
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- Saute onion in the butter until almost browned; reduce heat slightly and add garlic, parsley, and turmeric.
- Saute another 5 minutes then add water and saffron water.
- Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in wine and lemon juice; bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes to cook off some of the alcohol.
- Add shrimp, salt, black pepper to taste and crushed red peppers.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until shrimp have just turned pink and are still juicy and tender.
- This is normally served in small bowls with crusty bread for dipping, or it could be served over rice.