Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a traditional West Indian recipe, which will vary slightly from island to island.........this version is from Trinidad. Don't be put off by the look..it tastes delicious. (I don't cook with salt, so some may need to be added for personal taste.)
- 1 bunch dasheen leaves (leaves of the taro plant....found in tropical Australia, optional)
- 1 bunch silver beet
- 12 ounces okra, cut into rounds (approx 15)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 whole scotch bonnet peppers (yellow squat looking)
- 1 bunch spring onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves only
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 g crabmeat or 6 small crabs, backs removed and cleaned and cut in ½" pieces
- 250 g streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 – 2½ cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 – 5 drops of west Indianhot pepper sauce
- Put oil and bacon pieces in stockpot and cook bacon crispy.
- Add onion and garlic and seasonings, sauté
- Add stock, okra, silver beet and whole pepper.
- Bring to boil, then simmer until all vegetables are soft—approx 1 - 1½ hours — being very careful not to burst the whole pepper.
- With spoon carefully remove pepper and discard.
- Using an electric beater (or hand held swizzle stick) beat soup until vegetables are mashed down — do not purée.
- Return pot to heat, and add crabmeat / crabs
- Simmer until cooked.
- Serve hot.
- Wear a bib to keep front clean when eating crabs, and sucking crabmeat from legs — enjoy!.