Real vegetables, ground beef, and cheese mix well and cook as it is then made with rice, herbs, and spices, is baked to a smooth aroma, and provides the vegetable-based dish with some bold zest.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 small zucchinis, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups cooked rice, white only
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded American or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large fresh tomato, sliced
- cheese slices (Cheddar, Asiago, or Colby), optional
- Cook beef, zucchini, and onions in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender crisp, stirring frequently.
- Add rice, ½ cup cheese, garlic powder, ground black pepper, chili powder, and sour cream; turn into a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange tomato slices on top; sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot and plain but top with the cheese slices, if desired, and cut into serving pieces with the kitchen knife.