Makes 6 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 16-ounce can sliced peaches
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 1 teaspoon brandy extract
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Whipped or sour cream (optional)
- Combine rice, milk, honey and 1/4 teaspoon salt in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes, or until thickened, stirring often.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Portion into serving dishes.
- Blend Sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and peaches with syrup.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and brandy. Spoon over rice pudding.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm or cold, topped with cream.