A glorious, countrified combination of real fruit, cinnamon, rice, and honey is made, mixed, and packed with milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and almonds, and is great for other desserts, as it keeps a white-hot aroma with the peaches, alcohol content, and cream.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 16-ounce can sliced peaches
- 2 tablespoons brandy or (1 teaspoon brandy extract)
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- whipped or sour cream, optional
- Combine rice, milk, honey and ¼ teaspoon salt in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes, or until thickened, stirring often.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Portion into serving dishes.
- Blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and peaches with syrup.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and brandy. Spoon over rice pudding.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm or cold, topped with cream as desired.