A cold sweet souffle with natural unfussed elegance. A lovely dessert for a formal menu and the making of a simple one.
- 2 California avocados, pureed with ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1¼ cups water
- 3 tbsp light rum
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped Rum Cream, given below
Rum Cream Edit
- Combine gelatin, ½ cup sugar and salt in top of double boiler.
- Beat egg yolks with water; add to gelatin.
- Stir over boiling, water until gelatin is dissolved about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in rum and avocado puree.
- Cool until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually beat in remaining in sugar until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold with whipped cream into gelatin mixture.
- Pour into 1-quart souffle dish.
- Chill until firm.
- Serve with Rum Cream.