A terrific soup from Texas Tapestry cookbook. Enjoy!
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 quart water
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb ham hocks
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced (can use turkey sausage to reduce fat)
- 1 cup sour cream (can also used reduced or no-fat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or other large pot, cook the oil and flour, stirring constantly of course, over medium heat until you have a light roux.
- About 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, celery and paprika, combining well.
- Cook until the veggies are soft, 5 minutes or so.
- Add all remaining ingredients except sour cream, and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- Shortly before serving, add the sour cream and simmer until heated thoroughly.
- Serve, topped with a little grated cheese if desired.