Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 6
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup pepper, finely diced (preferably a mix of red, yellow and green)
- 1 cup (6 oz) andouille sausage, cut into ¼-inch half moons
- 3¾ cups heavy cream, reduced to 3½ cups 
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 lb spiral or other pasta, cooked and drained
- ¼ cup green onions, including green parts, sliced thinly for garnish
- In a large saute pan over high heat, add butter, onions and peppers and saute until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add andouille sausage and continue to cook over high heat until vegetables begin to turn golden and the sausage begins to color.
- Lower heat and saute until vegetables are very soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add reduced cream and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to medium-high and continue to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir well with a wooden spoon until cheese is well melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to simmer another 3 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Toss in cooked, drained pasta and mix well.
- Garnish with finely sliced green onions before serving.
- ↑ To reduce cream, place in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil about 10 minutes, watching carefully that it doesn't boil over the sides of the pan, and skim top before adding to recipe.