Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 8 servings
- 2.5 kg [5 lb] assorted fish (scorpion fish, red mullets, octopus, totani (small members of the squid family: if unavailable use baby squid or cuttlefish), eel, conger eels, mussels etc. depending on season)
- 500 g [1 lb] tomatoes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 2 cut cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 8 toasted slices crusty dark bread
- freshly ground pepper
- Finely chop the onion, celery and 1 clove garlic and fry gently in a large pan.
- Add the tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped), parsley, wine and 1 litre [1 scant pt] water.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave to boil for about half an hour.
- When the liquid has thickened, add the to the pan, starting with the toughest varieties.
- Continue to cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes taking care never to move the to avoid breaking it.
- Rub the bread slices with the remaining garlic, transfer to soup bowls then ladle over the with its broth.
- The cacciucco is the richest, tastiest and most substantial of a wide variety of Tuscan soups.
- It is easier to digest.