- Cover potatoes with water; add salt and cook until half done.
- Add cabbage and more water if necessary to barely cover.
- Continue to cook gently until cabbage is cooked but still crisp.
- Stir cabbage and potato now and then.
- While cabbage and potato are cooking melt fat in saucepan and add flour.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is light tan in color.
- Remove from heat; add garlic caraway seed and paprika; mix to combine.
- When cabbage and potato are cooked add flour mixture to pot and stir in quickly so lumps do not form.
- Continue to simmer so flavors blend about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.