Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Soul Food Cookbook for People with Diabetes, published by the American Diabetes Association
- Number of Servings: 8 x 1 cup
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ stalked celery, chopped
- 4 green onion, chopped with tops
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a large soup pot, combine the water, broth, tomatoes, celery, onion, potato, bay leaf, salt, thyme, and caraway seeds.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the cabbage, chicken, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.
Nutritional information Edit
- 81 Calories | 15 Calories from fat | 2g Total fat | 1g Saturated fat | 16mg Cholesterol | 526mg Sodium | 9g Total Carbs | 2g Dietary Fiber | 4g Sugars | 7g Protein
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable | 1 very lean meat