This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Neely Estate in Waxahachie, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 cup barley
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 ounces cabbage finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 bay leaf
- vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak and cook barley and keep the cooking water.
- Fry the onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes without browning.
- Add cabbage and barley with the cooking water and make it up to 2 pints with vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil then add the bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes until cabbage is just cooked but still crunchy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tahini.