- 1 meaty beef shank, 5 cm (2") slices
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, in chunks
- ⅕ celeriac, sliced
- ⅕ leek, sliced
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1½ cabbages
- 250 g (9 ounces) finely ground beef
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1½ dl (⅔ cup) light cream
- Place the shank in a large pot, cover with 7 liters (quarts) water and boil.
- Skim well.
- Lower heat and add onions, carrots, celeriac, leek, salt and peppercorns.
- Simmer at least 6 hours.
- Strain the stock.
- Core the cabbages and cut into 5 mm (¼") dice.
- Add to the stock and simmer, about 5 minutes.
- For the meatballs, remove the meat from the shank and grind.
- Combine with seasonings and flour.
- Beat in the cream.
- Form into 2½ cm (1") balls and simmer in stock.
- Reheat the meatballs in the soup and serve with lukewarm sweet white bread.