This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Partain Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup wine
- 1½ cups stock
- ½ cup rice
- 4 tablespoons red lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling salted water until they begin to wilt.
- Reserve water.
- Heat oil and sauté onion, carrot and mushroom for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, rice, lentils and herbs then boil for 15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add cheese.
- Place a portion of the filling in each leaf then fold in the sides and roll.
- Place joint down in a roasting pan and add the reserved water.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Drain the roasting pan.
- Place 2½ cups of the water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Blend flour with a little cold milk.
- Add flour and lemon juice to the water then cook 5 minutes whisking to prevent lumps forming.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 1 minute then add the eggs.