Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 cup white bread, ½-inch cubes
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- vanilla ice cream, as an accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- butter two 1¼-cup ramekins and divide bread cubes between them.
- In a small saucepan heat half-and-half, butter, salt, and vanilla over moderate heat until hot.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar, egg, and yolk and add half-and-half mixture in a stream, whisking.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes and bake puddings in middle of oven until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve puddings warm with ice cream.