- 2 medium-sized butternut squash (about 3 lb. total)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 scallions, white tops plus 2 inches green, sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 x 14-oz. pkg. bulk-style soy “sausage”
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 1 medium-sized Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrape out and discard seeds, and place Squash cut side up on baking pan. Spray squash flesh with olive oil cooking spray, and place pan on center rack in oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Heat oil and crushed pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Put garlic, scallions and carrots in a food processor, and chop coarsely. Add to oil, and cook 1 minute.
- Add soy “sausage,” and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently while breaking “sausage” apart with a large spoon. Reduce heat to low, and add sage, apples and raisins. Cook for 3 minutes, and remove from heat. Spoon filling onto cooked Squash, covering entire surface from end to end. Cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. Slice each stuffed squash into 2-inch slices crosswise, and serve with applesauce topped with cinnamon and nutmeg.