Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Source: State of South Carolina Department of Agriculture
- Prep 0:20 | Cook 1:00 | Stand 0:30 | Total 1:50
- 6 Servings
- 2 pounds butternut squash
- 11 ounces canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted, finely chopped
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds.
- Place cut sides down in casserole dish; add ½ inch of hot water.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- When cooled, carefully scoop out pulp and mash with potato masher (this should yield about 2 cups)
- Stir squash together with oranges, margarine, flavoring and spice.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir beaten yolks into squash mixture.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold in squash mixture.
- Spoon into 6 ungreased 6-ounce soufflé dishes.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle each with toasted almonds and serve immediately.