Wiki.com/Butternut_squash_souffle Butternut Squash Souffle from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: 90 minutes to bake
- 2 lbs butternut or acorn squash
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 egg whites
- Cut squash in thick chunks and remove seeds.
- Bake covered with water at 350 °F until tender.
- Using a food processor, blender, or food mill, puree Squash until smooth.
- Melt butter, add flour, and cook briefly.
- Add milk, stirring, and cook until thickened.
- Stir in ginger, cinnamon, salt, Sugar, orange juice, and Squash puree.
- Cool slightly, then add beaten egg yolks.
- Beat 7 egg whites until stiff but not dry, and fold into Squash mixture.
- Spoon into 2-quart souffle dish and place dish in pan filled with water halfway up side of dish.
- Bake 1½ hours at 350 °F.
- Test for doneness as for a cake.
- The souffle will stay fluffy for about 30 minutes.