- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg whites, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
- granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
- Sift in the flour and mix to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
- Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with ¼ of the filling.
- Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
- Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals.
- You can curve them into crescents if you like.
- Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
- Place on baking sheets and brush with egg white glaze.
- Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.
- For 32 extra large butterhorns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling.
- Continue as above but bake for 15 – 20 minutes.