This recipe comes from a cake decorating class I took a while back. If you have trouble finding some of the ingredients, try the baking aisle of an arts-and-crafts store, such as Hobby Lobby.
- 2 cups Crisco
- 8 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of liquid:
- In large mixing bowl, add Crisco, sifted powdered sugar, flour, meringue powder, and salt.
- In measuring cup, add clear vanilla, butter flavor, and almond extract.
- Fill up with water to ½ cup line.
- Be sure to only use ½ cup of liquid total, or the icing will become too soft to work with if more is added.
- Add liquid mixture to ingredients in bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until icing is completely mixed and smoothed.
8 cups are equal to a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar. Also, you may substitute almond extract for lemon, orange, etc.