This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pernice Estate in Mesquite, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- Wrap tortillas securely in aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Combine tomato juice, seasoning mix and oil and stir well then set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet until browned stirring to crumble then drain well.
- Stir in beans and ½ cup tomato juice mixture.
- Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Place ¼ cup beef mixture and 2½ tablespoons cheese down center of each tortilla.
- Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in a lightly greased rectangular baking dish.
- Pour remaining tomato juice mixture over casserole then cover and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese then bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Peel and cube avocado and toss with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle avocado, lettuce and tomato over casserole.