This spicy salad complements any meat dish. Served alone, it is a great vegetarian dish. Makes 4 servings.
- 400 g (14 oz) tofu, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 inches root ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- In a serving dish or salad bowl, combine the sliced tofu, garlic, soy sauce and ginger.
- Set aside.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat the oil and cook the chili powder over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir well.
- Add the onions and stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until onions turn brown.
- Add the tamarind juice and continue to stir for 2 minutes.
- To serve, pour the mixture over the tofu, toss well and serve immediately.