coconut is not abundant in many areas, so water becomes the liquid for stews, as in this Beef dish from Uganda. In this area, too, the combination of Arabic and Indian influences contributed the curry powder to this recipe.
- 1 pound Beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a stewing pan, add enough water to meat to barely cover. Season with salt, bring to a boil, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. remove meat and drain, reserving stock.
- Sauté onions in butter or oil until golden brown. Add tomatoes and continue sautéing 5 minutes. Add meat and brown. Stir in curry powder; continue cooking until flavors have blended. Add enough of reserved stock to make stew of desired consistency.