Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A zesty black bean salad is the perfect fast accompaniment. Drain and rinse a 16-oz. can of black beans, then toss with strips of green and/or red bell peppers, lots of chopped fresh parsley and a natural, low-fat vinaigrette. For added tangy flavor, top each serving of the bean salad with some feta cheese.
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium leeks (white and light green parts), rinsed well and chopped
- 1 large red onion, quartered, thinly sliced
- 8 oz pkg. shredded coleslaw cabbage
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- In large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in bulgur, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir coleslaw cabbage and scallions into leek mixture and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook until cabbage has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff cooked bulgur with a fork, then add to onion-cabbage mixture along with poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and serve at once.