An international alternative to crème brûlée, this caramel is infused with vanilla and cinnamon to enhance a sweet tang.
- 1 liter milk
- 8 eggs
- 10 spoonfuls sugar
- 2 packets vanilla (or a couple of splashes or dashes)
- a pinch of cinnamon and a spoonful of shredded lemon peel
- Mix the eggs and the milk well. Stir more than half of the sugar in and add the vanilla, cinnamon and lemon peel. Try the mixture and if you find it not sweet enough, add more Sugar to taste. Melt the rest of the sugar in a non-stick pan, stirring occasionally so it does not burn. Pour the Sugar in the 8-12 small pots (cup-size) and rotate each to cover the bottom. Pour in the egg and milk mixture. Place the small pots / cups in a pan with 2-3 cups water in the pan, and bake in an oven at 100-150 °C.
- Some thirty minutes later check to see whether the creme is runny and bake a bit more until a golden crust is formed.
- Cool the creme, loosen the sides with a spoon and turn it over on a plate. Serve with a swirl of whipped cream on top.