Bulanglang is a healthy vegetarian dish well known in the Philippines. The manner of preparing it varies in different regions.
- 1 medium bangus (milkfish)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups squash cut into 1" cubes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup green beans diagonally halved
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1 small ampalaya (bitter melon) seeded and cut 1½ lengths
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tbsp bagoong
- 2 cups spinach
- Scale and clean fish, slice into 4 to 6 pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and fry in hot oil until brown on all sides.
- Set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of oil in skillet.
- Sautè garlic, onions, and tomato in oil.
- Add bagoong and water.
- Let come to boil.
- Add fish, squash, green beans and ampalaya in that order.
- Lower heat to moderate and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Add spinach.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.