- butter - 25 g (1 oz),
- onion - 1 chopped,
- bacon - 3 rashers diced,
- celery - 3 sticks sliced,
- Brussels sprouts - 450 g (1 lb) halved,
- potatoes - 225 g (8 oz) diced,
- chicken stock - 1 litre (1* pints),
- milk - 300 ml,
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,
- double cream - 4 tbsp.
- Melt butter in a large pan, add the onion and bacon and sauté for 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, sprouts and potatoes.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 25–30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Purée and return to cleaned pan.
- Stir in milk and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add extra stock, to thin, if necessary.
- Stir in cream and serve.