Makes about 16 bars.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups (12-oz pkg) Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- Classic caramel topping (recipe follows)
Classic caramel topping Edit
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan; grease and flour foil.
- Combine sugar, butter and water in medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Remove from heat; immediately add 1 cup chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare Classic caramel topping.
- Remove brownies from oven; immediately and carefully spread with prepared topping.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup chips and pecans over topping.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack, being careful not to disturb chips while soft.
- Cut into bars.