- Butter (a piece about the size of a hen's egg)
- half a pint Water
- half a pint Beer
- 1 onion
- Lemon peel
- 3 cloves
- 1 blade of mace
- 1 spoonful Mushroom pickle
- 1 spoonful Catsup
- 1 Anchovy
- Put a piece of butter, about the size of a hen's egg, into a saucepan, and when it is melted shake in a little flour, and let it brown.
- Then by degrees stir in the following ingredients : half a pint of water, and the same quantity of ale or small beer that is not bitter ; an onion and a piece of lemon-peel cut small, three cloves, a blade of mace, some whole pepper, a spoonful of mushroom pickle, the same quantity of catsup and an anchovy.
- Let the whole boil together a quarter of an hour, then strain it, and it will be good for sauce for various dishes.
From Modern Domestic Cookery by William Augustus Henderson and David Hughson (1828), p. 120