- carcasse, giblets, feet, neck and any scraps of stuffing (about one tablespoon)
- 30 g (1 oz) butter
- 2 small onions (or 3 shallots)
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- a pinch of basil
- celery if available
- 30 g (1 oz) flour and browning
- seasoning according to the stuffing
- Place all in a saucepan with 1½ litres (2½ pints) water, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain and cool.
- Skim off any fat.
- Add chopped cooked liver and the flesh of the chicken if you want ‘pieces’ in the soup.
- Otherwise omit and serve strained.
- Add browning to the flour with butter and, when blended into a roux, add to the strained stock.
- Serve hot with fried bread croutons.