Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup uncooked medium grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Combine rice, salt and water in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling; stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add half and half and granulated sugar; stir once or twice, cover and continue to simmer 10 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, place butter in small skillet over low heat.
- Cook until butter is light brown and smells like roasted nuts, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over cooked rice and top with browned butter.