Use up a bountiful crop of farmer's market or homegrown tomatoes by broiling them. They make a tasty side dish or perhaps a light lunch.
- 3 large tomatoes or 6 small tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Wash tomatoes and cut off stem ends.
- Cut large tomatoes in 1-inch slices; cut small tomatoes in half crosswise.
- Place cut side up on broiler pan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dot each slice with butter.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Broil until tomatoes are soft and the bread crumbs are light brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serves 6.
Sources and Citations Edit
- Family Fare, Food Management and Recipes, USDA #1, 1950 and 1978