Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- In small bowl, combine shiitakes and hot water to cover.
- Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut into ¾-inch cubes; pat dry again.
- In medium bowl, combine tofu, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and five-spice powder; toss gently to coat.
- Cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cut broccoli florets into 1½-inch pieces.
- Peel tender portion of stems and cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
- (you should have about 4 cups total.
- ) add broccoli to boiling water and cook just until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again.
- Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water; set aside.
- Remove softened shiitakes from soaking water.
- Strain soaking water through a filter paper-lined sieve into medium bowl; stir in broth, brown sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Set aside.
- Trim and discard shiitake stems; slice caps and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add tofu mixture and cook, shaking pan and tossing tofu, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add scallions, garlic, ginger, chile paste, anise seeds and reserved shiitakes and stir-fry until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add cinnamon stick and reserved broth mixture; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet; cook, stirring, until liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and reserved broccoli and cook, stirring often, until carrots are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add reserved tofu and toss gently to coat.
- Discard cinnamon stick and serve.