Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 pounds broccoli, washed well
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 x 6 oz can water chestnuts, drained well
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon unbleached cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Begin by cutting the tops off the broccoli, then cut them into small florets, and set aside.
- Peel the stems of the broccoli, removing and discarding any tough parts; Cut the stems in half lengthwise, and then thinly slice them.
- In a wok or large non-stick skillet, stir-fry the sliced broccoli stems in the oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the reserved broccoli florets, ginger, and garlic, and stir-fry an additional 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Add the water chestnuts and stir-fry for an additional 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, water, tamari, cornstarch, toasted sesame oil, and sugar, and whisk well to dissolve the cornstarch.
- Add the orange juice mixture to the wok, along with the orange zest, and cook stirring constantly until sauce has thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl or platter for service.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 64
- Fat 4 Carbs 7 g
- Sodium 20 Mg
- Fiber 2 g