Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 4 to 6.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) beef stew meat cut into 1-inch (3 cm) pieces
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) Guinness stout or other dark beer
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) English mustard powder
- a 1x3-inch (3x8 cm) piece of orange peel
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot (Dutch oven) over high heat.
- Coat the beef lightly with flour and fry in batches until well browned on all sides.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and fry the onions in the same pot until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots during the last 5 minutes.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, adding enough water to cover the meat if necessary, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the beef is very tender, 2 to 2½ hours.