- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking by Maggie Powers
- Yield: 6 Servings
- ¾ cup egg substitute or 3 eggs
- ¾ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 3 slices day-old white bread, cubed
- ½ cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Spay an 8-inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add the milk and bread. Let stand for 5 Minutes.
- Add the spinach and cheese and stir to blend.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Bake the strata, uncovered, until the top is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (⅙ of recipe):
- 99 Calories | 4g Fat | 10 mg Cholesterol | 209 mg Sodium | 9g Carbs | 0g Dietary Fiber | 2g Sugars | 7g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: ½ starch | 1 lean meat