Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 8 servings
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1½ tablespoons (19 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (35 g) chopped dried apricots, soaked in 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brandy for 5 minutes
- 1 large baking apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ cup (36 g) golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup (180 ml) egg substitute
- 2¼ cups (540 ml) 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart ( l) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim and discard the crusts off each bread slice.
- Thinly butter each slice and cut into quarters.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soaked apricots, apple, and raisins.
- Place half of the fruit mixture into the prepared dish.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the mixture over the fruit.
- Top with half of the bread quarters, the remaining fruit mixture and another ⅓ of the sugar mixture.
- Arrange the remaining bread quarters on top, buttered side up.
- Whisk the egg substitute and milk together, and pour over the bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ of the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the dish for at least 10 minutes before spooning into dessert bowls.
Nutritional information Edit
- 170 calories (0% calories from fat) | 7 g protein | 4 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat) | 27 g carbohydrates | 3 g dietary fiber | 9 mg cholesterol | 338 mg potassium | 194 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: ½ very lean protein | 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 fruit) | ½ fat