Bread and Butter Pudding
- 75 g (3 oz) butter
- 6 slices white bread
- 50 g (2 oz) dried fruit
- 1 tbsp chopped mixed peel
- 50 g (2 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 3 beaten eggs
- 600 ml (1 pint) milk
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C / 325°F / gas 3.
- Butter a 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish.
- Butter the bread, then cut off the crusts and cut the slices into triangles, squares or fingers.
- Arrange half the bread in the dish.
- Scatter over the dried fruit, mixed peel and half the sugar, then add the remaining bread.
- Beat together the eggs and milk, then pour into the dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes until set and crisp on top.