A genuine Czechoslovakian recipe, posted by request.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour, sifted with a pinch of baking powder
- 4 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- Beat eggs, salt& milk in a large mixing bowl; add flour gradually.
- Continue beating with a large spoon (the dough must be smooth& stiff enough to hold its shape).
- Stir in bread cubes last.
- Have a clean, wet towel ready.
- Shape the dough with wet hands into an oblong, roll in a towel& drop into a large kettle of salted boiling water.
- Boil, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove the towel& slice the dumpling 1/2 inch thick (if not sliced immediately, the steam cannot escape& the dumplings will be soggy& hard).
- Keep hot until ready to serve.