Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Branston Pickle is a UK favourite that is served in pubs as part of a Ploughman's Lunch. Although this tangy vegetable pickle has lots of ingredients, it is worth the effort. Tastes great with cheeses.
- 16 ounces carrots
- 16 medium swede (rutabaga)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 9 ounces dates
- 16 ounces cauliflower
- 2 jars pearl onions
- 3 apples
- 15 ounces sweet gherkins
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 fluid ounces lemon juice
- 20 fluid ounces malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 bottle browning sauce, for colouring
- Cube the carrots and swede, and finely chop the garlic, dates, cauliflower, onions, apples, zucchini and gherkins.
- Combine all the ingredients except the colouring in a large saucepan and bring to the boil; reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until the swede is cooked through but still firm (about 11⁄2 to 2 hours).
- Then add the liquid colouring until the colour is dark brown.
- Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal.
- Leave for at least 3 weeks to let the flavours mature.