- ½ cup brown sugar, pressed down
- ⅓ cup Crisco
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- ⅓ cup currants
- ⅓ cup walnut meats, cut fine
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sifted pastry flour, shaken down
- ¾ cup bran
- a few grains salt
- First rub the shortening to a cream.
- Add the sugar, molasses, and salt, and beat till it is light and creamy, then add the egg, and beat well.
- Stir in the flour, bran, nuts, and currants.
- Oil hands, and form the dough into balls with the hands.
- Lay the balls on an oiled pan, flatten them to a thickness of one-fourth inch, then bake them.