Peaches, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1½ cups whole bran cereal
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup drained canned peaches, chopped
- In a medium bowl combine bran cereal and milk; let soak for 3 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in egg and oil.
- In another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, lemon peel (optional) and salt.
- Add bran mixture, all at once, to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened; batter will be thick.
- Fold in peaches.
- Fill greased (or paper-lined) muffin cups ⅔ full.
- Bake at 400 °F for 20–25 minutes.