Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
An excellent accompaniment to Roast Goose with Chestnut, Foie Gras and Sage Stuffing
- 1 large head red cabbage
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons rendered goose or duck fat
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 Jonathan apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon red gooseberry jam or red currant jelly
- Remove and discard any damaged cabbage leaves. Core and quarter cabbage, then cut into ¼-inch shreds.
- Combine wine, vinegar and bay leaf in a bowl.
- Heat goose or duck fat in a large, deep casserole over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion and sauté until lightly browned, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, apples, and wine-vinegar mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.