An excellent accompaniment to Roast Goose with Chestnut, Foie Gras and Sage Stuffing
- 1 large head red cabbage
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons rendered goose or duck fat
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 Jonathan apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon red gooseberry jam or red currant jelly
- Remove and discard any damaged cabbage leaves. Core and quarter cabbage, then cut into ¼-inch shreds.
- Combine wine, vinegar and bay leaf in a bowl.
- Heat goose or duck fat in a large, deep casserole over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion and sauté until lightly browned, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, apples, and wine-vinegar mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.