Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 pounds oxtails cut into 2 inch thick chunks
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Chilean Pinot Noir or merlot
- 6 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds yucca (peeled, cut lengthwise and tough core removed
- 1 pound drained papas criollas (pickled potatoes) or small red new potatoes
- 2 cups freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1⅓ cups finely chopped scallions
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy stew pot over a high flame until hot.
- Season oxtails with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, brown the oxtails.
- Return all meat to pot and add wine.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat until liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, about 20 minutes.
- Add broth and bay leaves.
- Stir to deglaze, scraping browned bits up from bottom of pot with a wooden spoon.
- Cook uncovered at a fast simmer for 1 hour.
- Add yucca and fresh potatoes and continue cooking about 45 minutes more until meat, yucca and potatoes are tender.
- If using the papas coriollas, add them now along with half the cilantro, cooking another 5 to 7 minutes until heated through.