Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Purchased from Vega Estate in Longview, Texas in 1990. Dated 1964.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1¼ cup lamb stock or water
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 small potatoes, quartered
- 2 small onions, quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heaped tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, blanched and refreshed, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Fry the lamb shanks until nicely colored on all sides.
- Transfer them to a large flameproof baking dish and add the barley, stock or water, herbs and salt.
- Cover tightly with foil and a lid and cook in the preheated oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the casserole from the oven; add the vegetables and a little more water if necessary.
- Season the vegetables lightly with salt and pepper, then cover the dish and return it to the oven for a further hour.
- Remove from the oven and check that the lamb is very tender and almost falling off the bone.
- If you think that it's not quite ready, return it to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb to a warmed serving platter and cover while you finish the braised vegetables.
- Bring the dish back to a simmer on top of the stove, adding more water to give you a nice consistency if necessary.
- Add the blanched parsley leaves and check and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- To serve, ladle the braised vegetables onto large warmed plates and place the shanks on top.