Purchased from Vega Estate in Longview, Texas in 1990. Dated 1964.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1¼ cup lamb stock or water
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 small potatoes, quartered
- 2 small onions, quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heaped tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, blanched and refreshed, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Fry the lamb shanks until nicely colored on all sides.
- Transfer them to a large flameproof baking dish and add the barley, stock or water, herbs and salt.
- Cover tightly with foil and a lid and cook in the preheated oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the casserole from the oven; add the vegetables and a little more water if necessary.
- Season the vegetables lightly with salt and pepper, then cover the dish and return it to the oven for a further hour.
- Remove from the oven and check that the lamb is very tender and almost falling off the bone.
- If you think that it's not quite ready, return it to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb to a warmed serving platter and cover while you finish the braised vegetables.
- Bring the dish back to a simmer on top of the stove, adding more water to give you a nice consistency if necessary.
- Add the blanched parsley leaves and check and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- To serve, ladle the braised vegetables onto large warmed plates and place the shanks on top.