Purchased from Miller Estate in Wylie, Texas in 1994. Dated 1968.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 8 globe artichokes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, then drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Trim artichokes and place in a bowl of water with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Heat olive oil in a large roasting pan or flame-proof casserole and cook lamb shanks, in batches, until browned all over.
- Remove shanks and discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook over low heat until soft.
- Stir in stock, thyme and cumin and season to taste.
- Bring to boil, add lamb shanks and drained chickpeas.
- Place in oven covered and bake at 300°F for an hour.
- Drain artichokes, add to lamb and cook, covered, a further 30 – 45 minutes, or until lamb is tender.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.