- To taste Ground fennel seed
- To taste Dried thyme
- To taste Course Ground pepper
- To taste kosher salt
- flour (enough to coat Lamb shanks)
- 4 Domestic Lamb Shanks
- vegetable oil
- 4 oz Slab Bacon, medium slice
- 4 Large yellow onions, julienned
- 1 Large Bulb of fennel, julienned
- 3 12 oz. Bottles of Guinness
- 2 c beef stock
- Bouquet of Garni of Fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season flour with ground fennel seed, dried thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge Lamb shanks in seasoned flour, pat off excess.
- Brown Lamb shanks in large sauté pan with vegetable oil.
- Reserve Lamb shanks.
- In a medium sauce pan, brown diced Bacon.
- Add onions and fennel, then cook until translucent and softened.
- Add Guinness beef stock and bouquet of thyme and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil.
- In a Dutch oven, place Lamb shanks and sauce.
- Cover and cook in oven for 4 hours.
- When done, remove Lamb shanks, then reduce residual braising liquid until thickened.