This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wilmot Estate in Rowlett, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon halved
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups small white onions peeled
- 2 carrots sliced
- ¼ pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups chicken stock
Bouquet Garni Edit
- Cut off the top third of each artichoke and rub the cut edges with a lemon half them trim any dried portion from the stem.
- With scissors snip off the small leaves at the base and the points of the leaves.
- Scoop out the choke of each artichoke with a spoon and season the inside with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Rub all cut surfaces with a lemon half and transfer the artichokes to a bowl of cold water.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat warm the oil until hot.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook the vegetables stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper then cook the mixture stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and turn them to coat with oil then add the vinegar, wine, stock and bouquet garni which has been tied together with string.
- Bring the liquid to a boil then cover the mixture with a buttered round of wax paper and the lid and braise on low heat basting artichokes with the cooking liquid once or twice for 40 minutes.
- Serve vegetables with a little sauce poured over the top.